A programme for 11 to 16 year olds; designed for delivery in secondary schools or within communities e.g. youth clubs, sport teams or group activities.
The principle themes are Responsibility, Achievement and Aspiration and the programme introduces the ‘Six Keys to Success’ developed by the British Athletes Commission as an integral part of the curriculum. Young people are encouraged to assess themselves against the Six Keys against a set of criteria.
DARE Active can be led by anyone who is actively involved in teaching, training, supporting or coaching young people; members of the community and both professional and non-professional facilitators who can be trained by Life Skills Education C.I.C. to deliver the resource. The six sessions can be delivered as a six week programme or stand alone (a modular approach), with the option of a celebration of achievement event.
The sessions enable students to:
- Develop key life skills to stay safe, healthy and to make a positive contribution within society
- Set goals with success criteria for their development
- Review and assess their performance
- Raise their self-esteem and develop the skills to maximise their life opportunities
- Become inspired and motivated, to achieve their goals
- Be disciplined and take responsibility for their own actions
- Develop support networks
- Make wise choices about health, social and moral dilemmas